Recipe by cellar door
I came to this recipe via vegan*core. It is awesome.
Top Review by 973073
I LOVE these. I have made them dozens of times and they are always well-received - by both vegans and non-vegans alike. The results may vary depending on what oven I'm using and how dark the pan is, but I generally make a smaller ball than what is suggested in the recipe and flatten it out to about half an inch or slightly less. I check them at the time the recipe says, but usually leave them in a minute or two longer. (One of my favorite things is that they are so soft and gooey) I also halve the quantities called for to make the sugar coating. I found I was wasting ingredients before. All that being said, the tweaks required to get the results I want may merit a 4 star rating...but everyone I know loves how they taste so much that I had to go with 5!
- 1 cup vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons soymilk or 4 tablespoons rice milk, whipped with
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until smooth. Add the vanilla, and the cornstarch/soymilk mixture, and beat until well-mixed.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and tapioca/corn starch. Stir this into the wet ingredients and combine well.
- In a very small bowl stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder (if desired).
- Begin rolling the cookie dough into balls of about 3 tbsp each. Roll each ball in the cinnamon/sugar/cocoa powder mixture until completely coated and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Continue until all the dough is used up. Using the bottom of a glass, press down on each ball until they are about an inch thick. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, and no more. The cookies should still seem very soft when you remove them from the oven. Let cool on the pans for about 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire baking rack and let cool completely.