Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The ultimate, original Cowboy chili recipe. Real original, real cowboys, Real good.
- 16 ounces new mexico chili paste (Sold Frozen or make from pods or 'ristras')
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 lb beef eye round
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Sauté thinly cut eye of round with onions, garlic, and jalapeños, add salt, black pepper optional (affects taste, try it without!).
- Add beans and chili paste and heat until warm.
- That's IT! (Trust me!)
- Top with cheese and wrap in burritos if desired.
- To make Chili paste (a little time consuming but far from impossible), soak dried New Mexico Chili pods (they have a special taste, and flavor, really) in warm water for 15-30 minutes until soft. Put hydrated pods in blender and sieve paste to remove skin and seeds. (To make less spicy remove seeds prior to soaking). Paste can be combined with oil, garlic, and salt and used separately as traditional enchilada sauce, or combined with pork for chili Colorado. Or combined as is to cowboy chili.
- Serve and enjoy the best. 'Chili'. Ever.
- (Traditional NM enchiladas are stacked corn tortillas dipped in prepared sauce, with layers of cheese and a fried egg on top. Serve w/ beans and Spanish rice.).
- NOTES: Oaxaca cheese is perfect, Queso Fresco good, Mozzarella acceptable. Canned 'ranch style' beans, prepared pinto or anasazi beans. Scale ingredients to taste. The sites robots don't allow this info in recipe.