Chef #1802435865's Note:
The ultimate, original Cowboy chili recipe. Real original, real cowboys, Real good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sauté thinly cut eye of round with onions, garlic, and jalapeños, add salt, black pepper optional (affects taste, try it without!).
- 2Add beans and chili paste and heat until warm.
- 3That's IT! (Trust me!)
- 4Top with cheese and wrap in burritos if desired.
- 5To make Chili paste (a little time consuming but far from impossible), soak dried New Mexico Chili pods (they have a special taste, and flavor, really) in warm water for 15-30 minutes until soft. Put hydrated pods in blender and sieve paste to remove skin and seeds. (To make less spicy remove seeds prior to soaking). Paste can be combined with oil, garlic, and salt and used separately as traditional enchilada sauce, or combined with pork for chili Colorado. Or combined as is to cowboy chili.
- 6Serve and enjoy the best. 'Chili'. Ever.
- 7(Traditional NM enchiladas are stacked corn tortillas dipped in prepared sauce, with layers of cheese and a fried egg on top. Serve w/ beans and Spanish rice.).
- 8NOTES: Oaxaca cheese is perfect, Queso Fresco good, Mozzarella acceptable. Canned 'ranch style' beans, prepared pinto or anasazi beans. Scale ingredients to taste. The sites robots don't allow this info in recipe.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect, Ultimate Cowboy Chili (New Mexico)
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.8 mg
- Sodium 194.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: