1/8 Photos of Perfect Turkey in an Electric Roaster Oven
3 hrs 10 mins
Squirrel Gone Wild's Note:
I never found good information on making a great whole roasted turkey in an electric roaster oven and thought I'd share my tried and true tips for making your holiday turkey moist and beautiful and delicious! I've read that roaster ovens effectively 'steam' the turkey making the meat come out ... well, steamed. This is not true. Follow these tips and your holiday turkey will get rave reviews!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take the insert pan out of the roaster and pre-heat the roaster to it's highest setting (on mine it's 450, but 500 if your oven goes that high).
- 2Prep the turkey by rinsing and patting dry. Sprinkle salt in the cavities. Stuff your turkey if desired. Note on stuffing: Don’t pre-stuff your turkey. Mix and stuff ingredients immediately before roasting. Stuff lightly and loose. Allow ¾ cup stuffing per pound of turkey. (Tossing in a few pieces of cut fruit or herbs is not considered 'stuffing.' Stuffing usually means filling up the cavity.)
- 3Rub the entire bird with olive oil or butter. (I have better luck with olive oil.) Doctor up your bird with whatever special seasonings you wish. I always use poultry seasoning.
- 4Finish with a good sprinkle of seasonings and black pepper. The olive oil and seasoning salt will help the skin brown nicely. I also like to use those little disposable "plug in" turkey thermometers. Put the insert pan with the bird into the roaster oven and cover. I don't recommend adding water to the pan.
- 5Put the rack into the insert pan (make sure the handles are up, not tucked below), and put the bird in the insert pan on top of the rack. Put the insert pan back into the roasting pan. (If your roaster doesn't have an insert pan, it's ok - just be very careful putting the bird into that hot oven, you don't want to burn your hands on the sides of the oven!) Cover.
- 6Roast at highest setting for 30 minutes. The butter/oil, seasonings and the searing time will make the skin beautifully browned and perfect!
- 7After 30 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 325.
- 8The bird will self-baste if you do not lift the lid, so you don't have to baste it every 20 minutes like you do in your conventional oven. DO NOT LIFT LID during cooking time! Lifting the lid will increase cooking time because roaster ovens lose their heat unlike regular ovens. I've read that roaster ovens effectively 'steam' the turkey making the meat come out -- well, steamed. This is not true as you will find out. Similar to the roasted chickens you can get at your supermarket, the bird will come out moist and perfectly roasted. Why do you think they call it a Roaster Oven?.
- 9Check your Bird EARLY - Figure your total cooking time from the time you first put the bird in the roaster. FINAL TEMPERATURE FOR SAFETY AND DONENESS IS: 180 DEGREES IN THIGH AND 165 DEGREES IN BREAST AND STUFFING. Juices should be clear, not pink.
- 10Your turkey will almost certainly be done at the earliest of the suggested times on the chart. Lift lid only slightly and quickly to check the pop-up thermometer or use your corded meat thermometer. If necessary, check after another 30 minutes, but I doubt you'll have to do that. If the pop-up thermometer isn't popped, double check with your regular meat thermometer because those little plastic things stick sometimes. I say check after 30 minutes because it's really OK to let the bird roast a little extra - you won't dry it out using my method if you let it go for 1/2 hour.
- 11Figure your total cooking time from the time you first put the bird in the roaster. Check your bird at the EARLIEST of the time suggested. I use the Butterball website to calculate times:.
- 13When done, remove the bird from the roaster, tent with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. This allows the juices to really seep into the meat, so they say.
- 14If you try this method, please let us know your results! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Turkey in an Electric Roaster Oven
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 218.0 mg
- Sodium 208.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 65.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: