Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a dish we had a lot growing up. Mum would use potato chips for a crunchy topping, but I hardly ever have those in the house. It is relatively quick, and inexpensive and can be stretched even further with a green salad.
- 250 g macaroni style pasta (penne, rigatoni, bow ties..etc.)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped finely.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- cayenne pepper
- 500 -750 ml milk
- 200 g cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 (400 g) can tuna in brine or 1 (400 g) can tuna in water, drained and flaked.
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of prepared dried breadcrumbs
- Boil water and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Add chopped onion to pasta water while pasta cooks.
- Drain well.
- Melt butter over a low heat.
- Add flour and whisk to form a roux off the heat.
- Season well with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Return to heat and add milk gradually, stirring all the time until white sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese cubes and stir till they melt.
- Add tuna, peas, corn and lemon juice and combine.
- Set aside.
- In a casserole dish place pasta and white sauce mixture.
- Stir to mix gently, making sure the pasta is well coated.
- Top the casserole with most of the grated cheese, then add the breadcrumbs, cover breadcrumbs with remaining cheese.
- Season well once again.
- Bake casserole at 200 C for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
A great recipe, easy, tasty and fast! We loved the crushed chips on the top (a good way to use the small chips no-one wants to eat). We are a family of 6 and it made 8 generous serves. I served it with steamed broccoli and garlic bread - go the carbs!!!! Thanks for posting Sassy Syrah.
This was really tasty! That little sprinkle of cayenne pepper made this meal. I didn't change a bit of this, it was cooked to perfection and loved by the whole family (kids aged 7 &5). Thanks, will definitely make again.
my favourite chips for my tuna mornay are cheese twisties taste's extra good. give it a try sometime.