Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love a really good Thai soup and after many years experimenting I've finally landed on a Thai Chicken Soup Stock that I absolutely love. It's delicious with just the broth or add sliced chicken (or duck) breasts and some wide rice noodles to make it a full meal.
- Slice 3 inch section of ginger root lengthwise and quarter 1 onion. Place into hot pan or on grill and cook until blackened.
- In large pot combine Chicken Stock, Blackened Onion and Ginger, Star Anise, Peppercorns, Nuoc Mam, Sugar, 1 Shallot halved, Lemon Grass crushed, and the Whole Chicken with skin and breast meat removed (you can use that later broiled and sliced to add to soup).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer covered for about 50 minutes.
- Strain broth through a sieve or cheesecloth and return clear broth to pan.
- Add 1/2 cup minced Onions, 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro, 2 T chopped fresh Sage, 1 seeded and thinly sliced Red Chili, 1/4 cup minced Shallots, and 1/4 cup thinly sliced Green Onions.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve as is or add cooked wide rice noodles, sliced chicken or duck breasts, and some bean sprouts. For a little extra spice add 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha chili sauce per 1-2 cups of broth. Enjoy!