Recipe by HoogTroos
I really don't like bland rice! This is nicely spicy with great tomato and cumin flavours. If you cant find the chicken/tomato broth then just substitute some tomato juice instead of some of the water. Add some hot sauce to make it pop!
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (McCormick)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin (to preferred taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute rice in oil until golden brown. Use medium saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and brown slightly.
- Add cumin, chile powder and salt. Saute to develop flavour.
- Add remaining ingredients except cilantro. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or untill rice is a to preferred consistency. I prefer al dente. You can stir several times during cooking and scrape the bottom of the pan. May need to add a little more boiling water.
- Add cilantro before serving.