Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
It is said the "secret" ingredient removes any bitterness and creates a smooth, clear tea. I have seen this twice in the last month. One from the deep south and the other from the (now closed) Lone Star Steakhouse in Houston, TX.
- Sprinkle baking soda into a 1 gallon pitcher.
- Add tea bags.
- Pour boiling water over tea bags.
- Cover and steep 15 minutes.
- Remove tea bags (I hope you compost them).
- Add cool water.
- Refrigerate until cold and you are ready to drink it.
- Serve over ice.
Since I was born and raised in Michigan, I was an adult before I tasted Sweet Tea. I love unsweetened iced tea and consider sweet iced tea a totally different drink. This was pretty good but a bit too sweet for me. Could be improved by a slice of fresh lemon. Made for My 3 Chefs Fall 2013.