Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bacon, mushroom, pancakes and the best fried eggs makes a perfect breakfast. Best of all, all it takes a bowl and two frying pans and is very easy to make, with everything being ready at the same time. Make sure that you have a well-fitting lid for one of the pans.
- 12 slices bacon (streaky, back bacon or Canadian bacon)
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Put the bacon in one frying pan and fry until cooked to your liking. If you are using Canadian bacon, you may need to add a little oil but otherwise render the fat out of the bacon.
- Meanwhile, make the pancakes. Put the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add one of the eggs.
- Pour in 1/4 a cup of milk and beat the egg into the milk, incorporating some of the flour as you stir.
- Add another 1/4 cup of milk and stir the rest of the flour, beating well to make a smooth batter. Add the last tablespoon of milk if needed to make the batter the consistency of thick cream.
- Add a little butter to the other frying pan and add large spoonfuls of the batter to make small pancakes.
- When bubbles appear on the surface, flip over and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Makes about 16 pancakes.
- When the bacon is cooked, remove and keep warm. Drain off most of the fat from the frying pan and add the sliced mushrooms. All the bits in the pan will add good flavour to the mushrooms.
- When you have made all the pancakes, add the oil to that pan. Break the eggs into the pan. Add the hot water and put a lid on the pan. This creates a steamy atmosphere in the pan and you end up with steamed fried eggs with runny yolks.
- Serve with maple syrup on the side and a big pot of tea or coffee. I prefer maple syrup on my pancakes after I've eaten my bacon and eggs but my daughter eats it all together.
I absolutely love the way the eggs came out, just the way I like them. I skipped out on the mushrooms and used bacon. Add some toast butter and jam and you really do have the perfect Sunday breakfast (or brunch lol) with only two dirty pans!