Recipe by FLKeysJen
People always ask why my rice comes out perfectly, even though I don't use a rice cooker. Siu Siu Korzilius, my Chinese cooking teacher, taught me that the secret to flaky rice is in the washing. Rice must always be washed before it's cooked to remove the excess starch which keeps it from being sticky. For brown rice, follow these same instructions but add more water (to several inches over the rice) and cook three times as long.
- 2 cups long-grain rice (NOTE -- one cup of rice will make 2 1/2 cups of steamed rice)
- water, to cover (see below)
Directions See How It's Made
- WASH THE RICE: Rinse under running water, rubbing the grains together between the palms of your hands; continue this rinsing until the water runs fairly clear. THIS WILL TAKE A COUPLE MINUTES; DON'T RUSH THIS MOST IMPORTANT STEP!
- Place rice in a covered sauce pan; add water to 1/2-inch above the rice; put on high heat. Stay in the area -- don't fall asleep -- PAY ATTENTION!
- As soon as it boils rapidly, reduce heat to medium/low and keep simmering for 10 minutes. DO NOT PEEK. DO NOT OPEN THE LID.
- Remove pot from burner but STILL DO NOT OPEN THE LID; let the rice rest undisturbed for five minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a pair of chopsticks before serving.