1/4 Photos of Perfect Spiced Roast Goose
You really can't go wrong with this recipe! This will be a holiday showstopper, it has a rub that caramelizes the goose when baking, plan ahead the goose needs to marinade for about 4 hours. Cooking time is for a 10-12 pound goose, I strongly suggest to use a meat thermometer for best results --- a 10-12 pound goose with feed about 8 people if you are serving more then I would suggest to make two, you will need to prepare two separate marinades and place the goose into two plastic bags.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes or 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (10 -12 lb) goose
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1For the marinade; in a large saucepan combine 2 cups water with 2/3 cups soy sauce, celery, dried onion and 1 tablespoon sugar; bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered until the celery is tender, stirring frequently.
- 2Cool mixture to room temperature.
- 3Pour the marinade into a large resealable bag; add in whole goose, then seal bag and turn to coat.
- 4Refrigerate for 4 hours turning several times.
- 5After 4 hours of refrigeration time discard marinade.
- 6Sprinkle JUST THE INSIDE of the goose cavity with salt and pepper (you will season the outside of the goose with salt the last 1-1/2 hours of cooking).
- 7Rub the outside of the goose with vegetable oil.
- 8Place goose on a shallow roasting pan.
- 9Set oven to 325 degrees.
- 10In a small cup or bowl combine the cinnamon with garlic powder and anissed; rub spice mixture all over the outside of the goose.
- 11Bake UNCOVERED for 30 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile while the goose is cooking; in a small saucepan combine the vinegar with 1 tablespoon soy sauce, honey, remaining 2 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until reduced by about half.
- 13Remove the goose from oven and baste the goose generously with honey mixture.
- 14Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 15Return to oven and bake UNCOVERED for another 30 minutes.
- 16Remove from oven and cover with foil and return to oven to bake for about 1-1/2 to 2 more hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees (basting occasionally with remaining honey mixture if desired).
- 17Let stand covered with foil for about 20 minutes or more before carving (do not prick with a fork or slice during this time or juices will flow out of the goose).
- 18For the gravy; strain pan juices, then skim and discard any fat.
- 19In a small saucepan combine cornstarch with cold water until smooth; whisk into the pan juices and bring to a boil, cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 20Serve the gravy with the goose.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Spiced Roast Goose
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1087.9
- Calories from Fat 660
- Total Fat 73.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 285.1 mg
- Sodium 3348.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 83.0 g