Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Yahoo Groups. The secret to making authentic Italian spaghetti with red sauce lies in the ingredients -- only the highest-quality ones will do. Fortunately, you can stock most of the ingredients you'll need for this recipe in your kitchen cupboard.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1.333 (6 1/16 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- Brown beef over medium heat. Drain off fat.
- In a large pot, combine beef, salt, sugar, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and mushrooms.
- Simmer at a low heat setting for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.