Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
As a kid, I was pretty picky about spaghetti sauce, and then mom got this one from a friend...SO good! Now that I have kids of my own, they love it and I've been able to improvise on the recipe myself to make it both kid- and adult-friendly! An easy meal that you don't have to think about and will make your house smell delicious! Plenty for freezing,as well, for another day. Hope you enjoy! *Sometimes, I'll replace some of the tomato sauce with crushed tomatoes and add a little more spice and garlic to compensate* **I use hot Italian sausage mixed with ground beef for a little more of a kick**
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (2 cans, for thicker sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional, to taste)
- Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat until hot.
- Brown onion and 2 cloves of garlic in oil, but do not burn!
- Add meat to skillet and cook thoroughly. (Drain meat if desired).
- In a crock pot, add juice, sauce, paste, 2 cloves of garlic, sugar, spices, and meat mixture and cook on low all day (8-12 hours -- the longer, the better!). Can cook on high for less time, as well, but may not be as thick. *To thicken up, "crack" lid for the last few hours.
- Serve over hot pasta and freeze any leftover sauce for later!
I love this spaghetti sauce recipe. It is so easy and so tasty. In the past month I've already made it twice.