Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are just like the ones my mom used to make and always come out PERFECT! I've been accused of buying them at the store and passing them of as my own.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Mix first 3 ingredients together thoroughly. Sift the remaining ingredients together in separate bowl. Stir the two mixtures together. Roll into balls the size of walnuts.
- Dip balls in mixture of equal parts cinnamon and sugar. Place two inches.
- apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned.
- but still soft (8- 10 minutes) at 400° farenheit.
I give this recipe 4 stars simply because it is so simple and easy... but I had to add 1/4 cup butter because the batter was so dry I couldn't ball it. I also added 2 t Vanilla and they turned out mighty tasty.
Very tasty - excellent recipe. I wish my oven didn't cook so darn hot as half of my batch got burnt (It's on its last leg I guess and needs replacing! The recipe was fine! My oven...not so much. LOL) Great flavor and hit the spot! yumyum! Thanks for the recipe. Made for the P-A-R-T-Y cooking event '09.
I agree, these were really good. I cooked them for 9 min too. They came out like they were made at the bakery and very easy to make. The kids were fighting over them. Yummy!!!!