1/1 Photo of Perfect Smoked Pork
5 hrs 15 mins
Classic smoked pork roast, amazing flavor, tender and juicy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 lb) boston butt (fresh ham)
for the rub
- 1Combine all rub ingredients except sugar and grind into a green thick liquid with a food processor, blender or immersion blender.
- 2Brush or rub green liquid over roast, sprinkle with sugar and wrap tightly with several layers of heavy duty foil.
- 3Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- 4Soak 2 large chunks of hickory in water.
- 5Light about 40-50 coals or an equal amount of hickory.
- 6Do not use lighter fluid, a fire starter chimney is the best method.
- 7Once coals are covered with a gray ash push them over to one side put the soaked hickory chunks on the coals and replace the grate, open the top of the foil wrapped roast and add about 1 cup of water.
- 8Place roast on cool side of grill and put the cover on the grill with the holes over the meat.
- 9Turn the meat 180 degrees every 60 minutes.
- 10Add some more coals/wood in about 2 hours.
- 11Smoke for a total of 4- 6 hours, internal temperature of the meat will be 170°F or so.
- 12If the meat starts to get too brown, tent it with another sheet of foil.
- 13The temp inside the grill should be around 275°F.
- 14After removing from the grill be sure to cover with foil and allow to sit 15-20 minutes before carving.
- 15Serve with your favorite bbq sauce, we like Lee Lee's Famous Barbecue Sauce for Ribs W/ Preserves, Lee Lee's Famous Barbeque Sauce for Ribs w/ Preserves.
- 16Brush some on the meat for the last 5-10 minutes of the cooking process if desired.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Smoked Pork
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.6
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 178.5 mg
- Sodium 178.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 50.4 g