Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are delicious! I had written them down years ago and only tried them for the first time tonight. Light, deliciously 'cakey' and special for scrumptious summer shortcake. I hope you like it as much as I did!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add shortening, and cut into dry ingredients.
- Add milk and egg yolk together, and mix just until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Dump out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 4-5 times (very lightly!) and pat dough into a 1/3 inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with berries or other cut fresh fruit and sweetened whipped cream.
I would have given this recipe a higher rating, but it is missing the oven temperature. Based on others' comments, I baked mine at 325 for 12 minutes, and they turned out nicely. I might add another tablespoon of sugar to make them a touch sweeter. I also might use butter-flavored crisco next time for a bit more flavor.
These rose high and fluffy. I thought they were a bit dry, which up to a point is nice, especially as I like to puree the berries, but I don't know that they were perfect. I don't know if 350 is the right temperature.
These are great shortcake biscuits!!! Made the recipe exactly as written.