Recipe by CaliforniaJan
We got this recipe from a 1983 issue of Cuisine Magazine and it is perfection. It wouldn't be Christmas without this treat. Prep time below does not include chilling time.
- 1 lb lightly-salted butter
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Work cold butter with hands until soft and cream in the sugar. Mix flours and salt together and work into butter. Knead gently until soft (not oily) and forms a ball.
- Roll dough to 3/8-inch thickness on a cookie sheet, mark pieces with a ruler to make 1" x 2" cookies and prick each cookie with a fork three times. Chill dough at least one hour (but up to 48 hours is still OK).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and reduce heat to 275 degrees as soon as you put the cookies in the oven.
- Cut cookies apart and place on baking sheets. Bake in center of the oven at 275 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.