1/2 Photos of Perfect Sand Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is the final result of all cake recipes I have ever tried and this is (in my opinion) the best recipe you could use for having a great cake. I consider this recipe is the basic mixture I use and then I use any of the variations I know to end up with a different cake each time. Note: Regarding the flour, I either use 3 cups of all-purpose flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 cup whole-wheat flour to have that grainy rustic texture of cake which I like, so it depends on your personal taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup corn oil (sunflower oil, vegetable ghee, margarine or butter)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Put the oil in electric mixer bowl, put in sugar, beat the mixture until blended.
- 2Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Mix yogurt with water.
- 4Add flour in thirds alternating with yogurt and water mixture.
- 5Add baking powder, baking soda and one of the variations mentioned above (or you can be creative and add whatever you like).
- 6Pour the cake mixture (the mixture shouldn't be thick, it is almost watery in consistency).
- 7In greased, floured cake pan (I prefer the one with the whole in the middle or a loaf pan for easy cutting).
- 8Put the cake in COLD oven, set the heat at 180°C, let the cake in the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 9Remove the cake from the oven,let it sit for about 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- 10Let the cake cool on wire rack (or I put the cake in plastic bag and close it while the cake in it so the outer surface of the cake won't be hard, it will be soft instead.
- 11Optional: You may sprinkle icing sugar on the face before cutting into pieces.
- 12Serve the cake with orange juice, coffee or hot tea.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Sand Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.0 mg
- Sodium 91.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 6.6 g