Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a very flavorful and simple way to roast a chicken. Recipe inspired by Barefoot Contessa.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- After removing giblets (discard or save for another recipe), salt and pepper inside of chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with thyme, lemon quarters and garlic halves.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with melted butter.
- Salt and pepper outside of chicken.
- Tie the legs together with string (good idea to soak string in water prior so it won't burn in the oven) and tuck the wings under the body.
- Cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
YAY a chicken victory for me, FINALLY! I could not be easier or tastier! I agonize over the timing of roasted chicken. This recipe was spot on! Very juicy and flavorful w/o any of the seasonings being overpowering in any way. I roasted the 4# chicken @ 400°/ convection oven. It was done in 90 minutes. I let it rest and carved it. I did add a couple things to the ingredients list. I substituted 1 teaspoon dried thyme for fresh and added a bit of olive oil to the softened butter & a squeeze of lemon juice. When I made gravy from the drippings, I added a splash of white wine. DELICIOUS. My family raved over it. Thanks Ina & Ingy!
Oh my goodness, this was one delicious chicken! This was my first time roasting a whole chicken so I was a little intimidated at first, but thanks to this recipe, it couldn't have been easier! The only thing I didn't do was measure out all the ingredients; I just did it by eye, and I added more herbs as well (oregano, basil, rosemary, and garlic powder) and I didn't tie the chicken, just left it as is. I also poked a few holes in the chicken and stuffed some garlic under the skin for a little extra flavour. But I followed the rest of the directions exactly and it came out just perfect! The chicken was perfect after about an hour 15. It was tender and so flavourful from all the herbs and lemon and garlic, and was beautiful browned and crispy on the outside while juicy on the inside. This is definitely one of my new favourites! Thank you!
Yummy! I added some veggies to the pan - baby carrots, fingerling potatoes and some chopped parsnip. Super easy and very tasty. I did add about one more tablespoon of butter to pour over the veggies, along with a little basil. Thanks for the recipe!