2 hrs 45 mins
I was influenced by Alton Brown to come up with an easy, juicy, almost fool-proof recipe for roast turkey. The following original recipe has proved so popular, I am asked to make it several times a year, and have to make around a dozen every Thanksgiving. This turkey does not need gravy, as it is very juicy. Prep time does not include brining. Use only kosher salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamom pod
- 1/2 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 7 cups cold water
- 1Place all brine ingredients except orange juice and cold water in a large pot, bring to a boil, then simmer until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- 2Place turkey in a large pot, cooler or bucket (I use a sterilized Home Depot bucket) and pour brine mixture, orange juice and cold water over turkey.
- 3Place in refrigerator or a cool place, such as a basement, for at least 8 hours, turning turkey over once halfway through.
- 4After turkey has been brined, remove turkey and throw away brining mixture.
- 5Set oven to 500 degrees.
- 6Place apple, onion and cinnamon in a microwave-proof container with one cup water and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- 7Rinse turkey thoroughly and pat dry, then coat generously with canola oil and place, breast side up, in roasting pan.
- 8Pour off water from aromatics and stuff turkey cavity with heated aromatics, rosemary and sage.
- 9Roast turkey at 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 10After 30 minutes, place a foil tent over the turkey's breast, and turn heat down to 350 degrees.
- 11Roast turkey for 90 minutes.
- 12DO NOT OPEN OVEN UNTIL TIME IS UP.
- 13Remove turkey from oven, remove tent, and let turkey rest at least 15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (1181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1315.4
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 514.5 mg
- Sodium 19367.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 155.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: