Recipe by Barberal
This is the only way to make true crackling on your pork roast. It took me years to perfect this and this is the first recipe to share on zaar
Top Review by cookingpompom
PERFECT....I have been cooking for a long time and this was outstanding. I scored the pork deeply every 1cm deeply, the boiling water seemed to "open" the slits. I dried it off, poured over a little oil and rubbed in hte salt. I didn't bother refridgerating it or using the fennel as I like my pork natural. I baked it at 240oC for 30 minutes and 180oc for 3 hours, it was by far my best roast pork ever!! No more hit and misses with this method - thank you Barberal!!!
- 1 (3 -5 kg) pork legs (50 minutes per kilogram at 190degrees celsius)
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seed
- sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Score pork skin, best to have your butcher do this.
- Place pork in colander and pour boiling water over to open the skin. Dry thoroughly and then place in fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and rub with salt -- Then mix ground fennel seeds with olive oil and rub all over pork and into slits.
- The flavour is magnificent. Use your own judgement on cooking times, but a general suggestion is around 50 minutes per kilogram in a moderate to hot oven.