Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I cooked in a crock pot for about six hours I think it could be braised in the oven or stove top It is so darn tasty
- 3 -4 lbs tender chuck roast
- 1 (16 ounce) canreg stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 serranos, chopped (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 ounce onion soup mix, package
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a heavy pan deeply brown the roast on all sides.
- lower heat add beef broth and wine reduced to half.
- place meat and liquid in crock pot with remaining ingredients.
- cook 6 to 8 hours depending on crock pot.
Yummy! This made the kitchen smell great while it was cooking. I used a small jalapeno, and a burgundy wine. The roast came out tender and the sauce was wonderful. I thickened the sauce and it made a very rich flavorful gravy. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks Susan for yet another great recipe. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
Awesome!!! What a wonderfully flavorful, tender and delicious pot roast. DH returned from a trip to the aroma of this roast filling the kitchen - what a lovely welcome. I used one half of a jalapeno since I did not have any serrano chiles. That was zippy enough for our taste. Rice soaked up the wonderful sauce - but it would go nicely with potatoes or egg noodles. We'll make this again. Thanks Chef susan from Sandpoint, Idaho.