1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a complete one-pan Sunday chicken dinner, to be enjoyed with a good bottle of wine and a buttered baguette or fresh baked rolls. All you need is dessert (such as a fruit pie or crumble). Bon appetit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 lb) organic free-range roasting chickens
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 3 sprigs fresh tarragon)
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 -3 medium onions, quartered
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 8 medium organic carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1Place the cooking rack about 6 inches from the bottom of the oven, and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Remove the chicken giblets, and any feathers or extra fat; rinse the chicken inside and out with cold running water and pat dry.
- 3Generously salt and pepper the chicken, inside and out.
- 4Stuff the cavity with sprigs of thyme and rosemary (or tarragon), quartered lemons, and garlic.
- 5Place chicken breast side up into a large Dutch oven or Le Creuset pan, tucking legs together (tie legs together with string, if necessary) and tucking the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- 6Brush outside of chicken with melted butter, and sprinkle generously with additional salt and pepper.
- 7Place onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes evenly around the chicken; drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat.
- 8Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes, or until chicken is nicely browned.
- 9When chicken has browned, cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue to roast for an additional 45 minutes (for a 1 1/2 hours cooking time), or until juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- 10Remove chicken and vegetables from oven to a platter and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
- 11Before serving, remove the herb stuffing from inside the bird, discard.
- 12Slice the roast chicken, and serve with the vegetables.
- 13This is a great Sunday dinner to be enjoyed with a good bottle of wine and a buttered baguette or fresh baked rolls.
- 14Bon appetit!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Roast Chicken Dinner With Lemon, Garlic and Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1013.4
- Calories from Fat 633
- Total Fat 70.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 291.4 mg
- Sodium 321.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 67.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: