Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
From Ina Garten. Made this today and it was so moist and delicious. This is a keeper.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus
- 20 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry.
- Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan.
- Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil.
- Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.
- Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
I made this several months ago, forgot to review. This is a great chicken! I did not have any fennel. It came out very juicy and was easy as well. I think the lemon in the cavity is key here. Thanks for posting,
I can vouch for this recipe, having made it about a year ago. It's very easy, and makes a great chicken. As I recall, letting it sit for 20 minutes at the end as recommended makes it much more juicy. Thanks for posting it, Chef!
This was unbelievably delicious! I made a couple of substitutions, but it didn't change the final product. When I went to the grocery store they didn't have any fresh thyme so I got one of those poultry packs that includes fresh rosemary, sage and thyme. Also, they didn't have any fennel bulbs so I got leeks. I used leeks, carrots and fingerling potatoes. The veggies were all caramelized and SO GOOD! The leeks were so sweet and the carrots were out of this world! My DH and I both wished there were double the number of carrots. The chicken was so juicy and flavorful and the skin was brown and crispy. We just can't say enough about how good it was. This one's a keeper!