Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Ina Garten. Made this today and it was so moist and delicious. This is a keeper.
Make and share this Perfect Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus
- 20 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry.
- Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan.
- Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil.
- Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.
- Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.