Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from a cookbooklet from "The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks" "ROAST" Very good recipe...and easy to substitute items to your taste.
- 1 1⁄2 kg whole chickens
- 100 g fresh coriander, roots in tact (Cilantro)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 sticks lemongrass, chopped coarsely
- 2 kaffir limes, quartered
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to moderately hot. Wash cavity of chicken under cold water; pat dry, inside and out, with absorbent paper.
- Chop coriander roots, stems and leaves; place all of the coriander, lime leaves, lemon grass and four of the lime quarters inside the chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; trim skin around chicken neck, secure to underside of chicken with toothpicks. Tie legs together using kitchen string.
- Place chicken, breast-side up, on rack inside large baking dish. Spray chicken all over with cooking-oil spray; sprinkle with salt. Place enough water in baking dish to come to a 1 cm depth.
- Bake chicken, uncovered, in moderately hot oven for 1 1/2 hours; cover loosely with foil after 1 hour if chicken starts to overbrown. Discard cavity filling; serve chicken with remaining lime quarters.