Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
I adopted this recipe. Here is the original poster's description: This will yield perfect rice. You can , of course add other things to your rice if you wish. Dried cranberries or raisins work well.
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallots or 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked rice (long grain white, basmati or jasmine)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (15 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a saute pan with straight sides with a tight fitting lid.
- Saute onion or shallot in butter until soft, Add uncooked rice and saute, stirring for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and put into oven for 16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, fluff with a fork and serve.
- Note recipe can be doubled.
WOW! Very easy and wonderful. I used beef broth as family doesn't like chicken.
Great rice recipe! I only made two small changes to the recipe. First, I used about a tablespoon of dried onion flakes instead of the minced onion (because of the picky kids and I thought they would be harder to see). Second, I used beef broth instead of the chicken because I was serving the rice with beef. The rice turned out perfect, just as Mean had said. I didn't have an oven-safe saucepan with lid, so I pre-heated the oven with a corningware dish, and made the rice on the stove with the saucepan. Then, I transfered the rice to the corningware dish when going into the oven. It worked fine, but I'm now in search of new oven-safe cookware! Thanks for a great recipe Mean Chef!
OMG! its the best rice ever, esp with indian food. I always add a couple of more tablespoons of butter! ;0)