Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe was developed by me through trial and error as I was not happy using flour in the pie. I like this as it is not too sweet and the tapioca doesnt't mask the true flavour but sets it perfect and still keeps it juicy.
- 5 cups rhubarb
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 pie crust, your favorite pastry recipe
- Wash, chop rhubarb into 1 inch chunks drain well, dry off with paper towels.
- Mix tapioca and sugar together than add to the rhubarb and blend well together line 10" pie plate with pastry.
- Put in rhubarb, this will be heaped right up.
- Dot with the butter or margarine on top of rhubarb and slit and put top crust on.
- Make sure the edges of the pie are well sealed together.
- Preheat oven to 450 and place on cookie sheet on bottom rack in oven for 15 min.
- than reduce the heat to 350 for 35 to 40 min.
- or till pie is done.
- Cool on rack, let stand till cooled out.
- This recipe has a beautiful flavour and is still juicy but but not runny.
This IS perfect rhubarb pie. It's the best recipe for rhubarb pie I've ever used. For a purist like me, who doesn't like to mix strawberries with rhubarb, this is wonderful.