Recipe by burke.linda
This recipe was developed by me through trial and error as I was not happy using flour in the pie. I like this as it is not too sweet and the tapioca doesnt't mask the true flavour but sets it perfect and still keeps it juicy.
Top Review by jbmullins1239
This IS perfect rhubarb pie. It's the best recipe for rhubarb pie I've ever used. For a purist like me, who doesn't like to mix strawberries with rhubarb, this is wonderful.
- 5 cups rhubarb
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 pie crust, your favorite pastry recipe
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, chop rhubarb into 1 inch chunks drain well, dry off with paper towels.
- Mix tapioca and sugar together than add to the rhubarb and blend well together line 10" pie plate with pastry.
- Put in rhubarb, this will be heaped right up.
- Dot with the butter or margarine on top of rhubarb and slit and put top crust on.
- Make sure the edges of the pie are well sealed together.
- Preheat oven to 450 and place on cookie sheet on bottom rack in oven for 15 min.
- than reduce the heat to 350 for 35 to 40 min.
- or till pie is done.
- Cool on rack, let stand till cooled out.
- This recipe has a beautiful flavour and is still juicy but but not runny.