1/1 Photo of Perfect Red Velvet Cake
A dense chocolate cake is layered with cream cheese frosting. What could be better? Do not let the the layers intimidate you; this is a wonderful cake and it shouldn’t be missed. From copykat.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Cream together margarine and sugar.
- 4Add eggs one at a time, beating well each time.
- 5Mix cocoa and food color until cocoa is dissolved in food color. Then mix with above.
- 6Add flavoring and mix.
- 7Mix soda and buttermilk.
- 8Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well but do not overbeat, as cake will be tough.
- 9Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch pans and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool and frost.
- 10For three layer cake, use three 8″ pans and cook for 20min.
- 12In a medium bowl, cream together the cold cream cheeses and butter until creamy.
- 13Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 571.0
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 359.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 45.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g