I have tried many supposedly good Red Velvet recipes as it is my daughters favorite, but every time they are too dry. I have heard this complaint a lot. This recipe, however, yields a dense, moist cake worthy of any professional bakery. I do recommend using a bundt pan. It seems to turn out a more consistent product. A glaze instead of this frosting is also nice, but this frosting is wonderful. Do not use butter or cake flour in the cake. It turns out dry.
for the cake
- 295.73 ml vegetable oil (not butter)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 14.79 ml red food coloring
- 4.92 ml apple cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour (not cake flour)
- 414.03 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 22.18 ml cocoa powder
for the frosting (may want to double)
- 226.79 g cream cheese
- 73.94 ml butter
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
- In stand mixer combine oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. mix well. In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients. Gradually add to wet ingredients (slowly at first). Beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50 minutes or untill toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack for 30 mins, then turn out onto cake plate to finish cooling.
- Combine room temp butter and cream cheese in stand mixer, the add vanilla and mix ti fully combine. Gradually add sugar at low speed to combine, then whisk at high speed for three minutes. Apply to cake in preferred method (I like to drizzle it from a plastic bag with the corner snipped off).
I made this recipe tonight as I do not like to blind bake anything. It was a trial run for an upcoming event. I just want to say Wow! It turned out absolutely amazing! I made it exactly as written with only a small change. Instead of using liquid red food coloring I purchased wilton's no taste red paste and reduced the amount to 1 tsp. It turned out perfect! My husband said it was the best cake he had ever eaten and he really is not a cake fanatic. I also used my new kitchenaid stand mixer that I just purchased. I am impressed with both the mixer and the recipe. I will make this recipe again no question.
I made this cake exactly according to the recipe and it turned out perfect!