Recipe by LadyNomad
The garnish is what makes this soup to die for. Don't skip it! I can't recall where I got this recipe from originally, but I adapted it in my vegan/vegetarian years to the recipe below. This can easily be prepared non-vegan style by using butter instead of margarine and half and half instead of soy creamer. If you're a vegan opposed to honey, try using agave nectar instead.
- 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter or olive oil, as your diet dictates)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup soy coffee creamer
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey (or agave nectar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Make garnish: Combine apple, red onion, lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, chile powder, and cranberries and refrigerate until cold.
- Make soup: Melt margarine in a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in curry powder, salt, coriander, and crushed red peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Add veggie stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and soy creamer, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and either use an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor to blend until creamy.
- Serve warm with a generous spoonful of garnish.