Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This a combined recipe from a meat market and friend. It turns out just right every time. Why waste time in a restaurant for this!
- 2267.96 g choice cut prime rib roast
- 118.29 ml kosher salt
- 14.79 ml garlic powder or 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- pepper, generous amount
- additional seasoning, as preferred
- Let roast come to room temperature, rub roast with seasonings.
- Place roast, bone side down, in shallow roasting pan, but do not cover.
- Add a small amount of water to pan.
- Insert meat thermometer, not touching any bone.
- Sear roast at 500°F for 15 minutes.
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!
- Turn temperature down to 350°F.
- Cook approximately 20 minutes per pound.
- Medium 150-160°F.
- Well 170-180°F.
- Allow roast to sit for 15 minutes after removing from the oven, then slice.
I used a LOT less salt but otherwise made as directed. The procedure in the recipe resulted in a perfectly cooked roast. Be sure not to skip the step about allowing the roast to come up to room temp, you may have to allow for 2 or 3 hours for that.
I used only a quarter of the salt indicated and that was just right for me. Used fresh garlic and next time might even use more than indicated. The roast was perfectly cooked and just delicious.
As always, I loved the simplicity of this recipe. I would not add so much salt, don't feel it necessary. I did use the fresh garlic.