3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Even if you don't purchase the roast a week ahead of time as the instructions suggest, even a day or two of aging in the refrigerator will help. For a roast that's as pink, juicy, and tender at the surface as it is in the center, sear it first, then roast it long and low.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 lbs first-cut beef rib roast, 3 ribs, set at room temperature for 3 hours, tied twice between the rib bones
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 200 degrees.
- 2Heat large roasting pan over two burners set at medium-high heat.
- 3Place roast in hot pan and cook on all sides until nicely browned and about 1/2 cup fat has rendered, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4Remove roast from pan. Set wire rack in pan, then set roast on rack. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- 5Place roast in oven and roast until meat registers 130 degrees (for medium-rare), about 3 1/2 hours (or about 30 minutes per pound).
- 6Let stand 20 minutes (a bit longer is fine) before serving.
- 7Transfer to cutting board and carve in accordance with the instructions below.
- 8Tying and Carving the Prime Rib: To carve, remove the twine and set the roast on a cutting board, rib bones perpendicular to the board. Using a carving fork to hold the roast in place, cut along the rib bones to sever the meat from the bones.
- 9Set the roast cut side down; carve the meat across the grain into thick slices.
- 10We didn't tie the first few prime ribs that we roasted. We found out pretty quickly, though, that unless the roast was tied, the outer layer of meat pulled away from the rib-eye muscle, causing the roast to look a little unattractive. Separated from the main roast, this outer flap of meat also tended to overcook. To solve this problem easily, tie the roast at both ends running parallel to the bone.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Prime Rib(ATK)
Serving Size: 1 (0 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef rib roast