This is my "tradmark" Christmas Eve Dinner. DH won't even order prime rib in a restaurant anymore, because he prefers mine. Its a super easy recipe, great for dinner parties, but DO NOT alter cooking times or directions. And DO NOT carve until just before serving. Here NEEDS a clarification!!! The salt is only intended to produce a shell to keep the moisture in. It's not intended to be consumed unless of course you like extremely salty foods. AFTER the roast has rested for 15 mins. Lightly scrape the salt away but not so much that you remove all the seasonings
- Combine seasonings, and rub into roast.
- Let sit while oven preheats to 375.
- Place roast in broiling pan, fat side up or bone side up.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off, DO NOT OPEN OVEN.
- One hour before serving, turn oven back on 45 minutes.
- Take rib out, LET STAND FOR 15 MINUTES.
- This is VERY important, it allows the juices to distribute.
- Do not carve "ahead of time", either. Scrape off the salt "shell." The meat directly underneath that will be very salty, but that's usually the fatty part that no one eats, anyways. The rest of it will be fine, I PROMISE!
- Serve with au jus and horseradish sauce.