Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
From Costco magazine/Christopher Kimball/America's Test Kitchen.
Make and share this Perfect Prime Rib recipe from Food.com.
- Let roast set at room temperature 3 hours.
- Using kitchen twine parallel to the bone, tie roast at both ends to keep outer layer from pulling away and overcooking.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat to 200. (yes, 200).
- Pat roast dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in large pan over 2 burners set at medium-high. Place roast in pan and cook on all sides until nicely browned and about 1/2 cup of fat has been rendered, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove roast from pan. Spoon off fat from pan. Set wire rack in pan, then set roast on rack. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place roast in oven and roast until meat registers 125 (medium-rare) about 3 1/2 hours (30 minutes per pound),
- Let rest about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to carving board and carve; serve.