Recipe by TatiLu
Perfectly moist pound cake, great flavor. Takes a bit of time but is so worth it! Tested and approved! You could try to make a lower calorie version, replacing butter and margarine for lower fat products and sugar for Splenda, BUT I don't know how it turns out.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice or 2⁄3 cup apricot juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons rum (optional)
- 4 large eggs, separate
- 1⁄3 cup raisins or 1⁄3 cup almonds or 1⁄3 cup any dried fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350°.
- At low speed cream butter, margarine, and sugar during 30 minutes (sound like a lot but trust me -- it's the key to the texture, meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients).
- Add the yolks to the mixture one by one, until they are incorporated in the mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix orange juice, vanilla and rum.
- Sift flour and baking soda, together.
- Alternating add to the mixture the flour and the juice.
- Add about a spoonful of flour to the raisins and cut them a bit, this will avoid to have raisins only at the bottom of the cake ;-).
- Set aside, and beat the egg whites until they are fluffy but not totally firm.
- With a wooden spoon mix the whites into the mixture.
- Pour into the mold (previously greased and floured) and spread it around leaving a small depression in the center, this way when it grows during baking it won't curve up.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until it is golden and the cake has separated from the mold.