Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Both kids and adults will dive into this new twist on baked ziti. If you like, assemble it up to one day ahead, refrigerate and bake just before serving. If you make it the day before you will have to adjust the baking time. I have taken this to our church potluck dinners. The recipe is always requested. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links or 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage links, cut crosswise into one inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut croswise and then cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) package part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- Prepare sauce. In deep nonstick 12 inch skillet cook sausage over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Discard all but two tablespoons sausage fat.
- To sausage in skillet add garlic, peppers and onion
- Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in whole tomatoes,tomato sauce, salt,oregano and basil.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400.
- Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat.
- Add pasta; cook 2 minutes less than cooking time recommended on label.
- Drain well.
- Combine vegetables with pasta.
- Pour into 9 x 13 greased pan. Spread mozzarellacubes on top.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Before serving sprinkle romano cheese on top.
I love this recipe and have made it alot. My company usually ask for the recipe- it's that good!! I have never tried making it ahead though and would be interested in finding out how much longer i would have to bake it, do the noodles absorb the sauce overnight in the fridge?
I made this last night with some garlic toast. This had a lot of great flavor. Thanks for a real keeper!