Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from my FIL. It's very simple to make, and it's delicious. My family loves it topped with cheese and crumbled bacon.
- 5 lbs potatoes, diced and peeled
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to just cover them.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook until fork-tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, saute celery and onions in margarine in a separate pan until both are tender and onion is translucent.
- Set aside.
- Drain the water from the potatoes until only 4/5ths of the potatoes are covered.
- Mash a few of the potatoes and mix them with the rest of the soup to thicken.
- Add evaporated milk, celery, onion, salt and pepper.
- Heat on medium until heated through.
- Serve hot.
- ****Maybe topped with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onion*******.
I made this for dinner and it turned out real nice! I halved the recipe. Nice flavor and texture. Thanks Kzim!