Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Crisp outside, moist inside, these delicious latkes are the real thing.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 small onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, plus additional if needed
- applesauce (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Grate potatoes on medium-fine grater into large bowl. Grate onion and mix with potatoes.
- Carefully drain some of the liquid from potato m ixture. Stir in egg, matzoh meal, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 cup shortening in large skillet over high heat until rippling.
- For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture into skillet, flattening with back of spoon. Fry pancakes in single layer in batches, adding shortening if needed, until crisp and golden brown, 2-3 minutes each side. Serve pancakes immediately with applesauce and sour cream on the side, if desired.
the title is accurate :) these are perfection, fantastic