Crisp outside, moist inside, these delicious latkes are the real thing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate potatoes on medium-fine grater into large bowl. Grate onion and mix with potatoes.
- 2Carefully drain some of the liquid from potato m ixture. Stir in egg, matzoh meal, salt, and pepper.
- 3Heat 1/2 cup shortening in large skillet over high heat until rippling.
- 4For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture into skillet, flattening with back of spoon. Fry pancakes in single layer in batches, adding shortening if needed, until crisp and golden brown, 2-3 minutes each side. Serve pancakes immediately with applesauce and sour cream on the side, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.8
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 616.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 7.6 g