Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
When you want to impress your company with a spectacular dessert, look no further. This is admitingly time consuming, but after one bite, you'll understand it was all worth it!
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- For cake: In a small bowl, combine the milk and the poppy seed.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pans or line with waxed paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar and the vanilla.
- Beat till well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and poppy seed mixture alternately to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition till just combined.
- In a medium bowl, with a clean beater beat the egg whites till stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 375 oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near the center of the layers comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove the layers from pans.
- Let cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Custard Filling and chill in the refrigerator: In a heavy medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in the milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Add egg mixture to milk mixture in pan.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill till completely cool, but don't stir.
- To assemble the torte, split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Place one bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Spread with 1/3 of the filling (about 1/2 cup).
- Repeat for 2 more layers.
- Place last cake layer on top.
- Beat whipping cream and the sugar together till mixture is spreadable.
- Spread over the sides and top of cake.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours before serving.