Recipe by anaisfern
These pancakes are thick and fluffy, and the center stays moist and tender. After a lot of attempts to find a perfect pancake recipe, I made this one up, and have been so happy with the results!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (some wheat flour may be substituted- I have been successful with 2 cups regular and 1/2 cup wheat fl)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups milk, with about
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, stirred in to make it curdle (I use 1% milk normally, but any will do)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda) together in good sized bowl.
- Measure out milk and mix in lemon or lime juice.
- Let it sit a few moments.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the milk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until the batter is fairly smooth; there should only be a few small lumps.
- Melt enough butter in the bottom of a frying pan to coat it evenly; after it has melted, wipe out any excess with a paper towel or napkin.
- The pan should be over medium heat.
- Once the pan is heated, pour about 1/2 cup batter in (or, adjust to fit the size of the pan).
- Allow the pancake to cook several minutes, until the edges are cooked and there are bubbles appearing and bursting in the middle of the cake.
- Flip the pancake, and allow to cook about 2 minutes on the raw side.
- After a minute or two on this side, the cake will raise up and become thicker.
- Once this happens, only cook the cake another minute or so, until the pan-side is nicely golden.
- If the bottoms of the cakes are browning too fast, before there are bubbles in the middle or the second side can rise, then turn the heat down on the stove.
- If the opposite problem is occuring, increase the heat.
- After a couple, it'll be just right!
- This recipe makes 6 enormous pancakes; I would imagine that, made a more normal size, it would yield about 12.