1/1 Photo of Perfect, Plate-Size Pancakes
These pancakes are thick and fluffy, and the center stays moist and tender. After a lot of attempts to find a perfect pancake recipe, I made this one up, and have been so happy with the results!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour (some wheat flour may be substituted- I have been successful with 2 cups regular and 1/2 cup wheat fl)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups milk, with about
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, stirred in to make it curdle (I use 1% milk normally, but any will do)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Stir the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda) together in good sized bowl.
- 2Measure out milk and mix in lemon or lime juice.
- 3Let it sit a few moments.
- 4Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- 5Pour in the milk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- 6Whisk all the ingredients together until the batter is fairly smooth; there should only be a few small lumps.
- 7Melt enough butter in the bottom of a frying pan to coat it evenly; after it has melted, wipe out any excess with a paper towel or napkin.
- 8The pan should be over medium heat.
- 9Once the pan is heated, pour about 1/2 cup batter in (or, adjust to fit the size of the pan).
- 10Allow the pancake to cook several minutes, until the edges are cooked and there are bubbles appearing and bursting in the middle of the cake.
- 11Flip the pancake, and allow to cook about 2 minutes on the raw side.
- 12After a minute or two on this side, the cake will raise up and become thicker.
- 13Once this happens, only cook the cake another minute or so, until the pan-side is nicely golden.
- 14If the bottoms of the cakes are browning too fast, before there are bubbles in the middle or the second side can rise, then turn the heat down on the stove.
- 15If the opposite problem is occuring, increase the heat.
- 16After a couple, it'll be just right!
- 17This recipe makes 6 enormous pancakes; I would imagine that, made a more normal size, it would yield about 12.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect, Plate-Size Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.6
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 46.6 mg
- Sodium 645.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g