Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This easy recipe makes a stretchy pizza dough, and with the optional ingredients... makes the absolute BEST garlic breadsticks.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- garlic powder
- Dissolve yeast and honey in the warm water, stirring gently with a wooden spoon. *HINT* Whenever I am activating the yeast in warm water -- I use a metal (1st choice) or glass bowl. Before adding anything into the bowl, I invert it in the sink and let hot water run over the OUTSIDE of the entire bowl for a minute or two. This way the bowl is already warm when you place the warm water and yeast into it, so that none of the warmth from the water is going to heat the bowl instead of the yeast! :)
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and salt. Sometimes I will also sift in some additional spices to make an herbed pizza crust. Oregano, garlic powder, basil, and rosemary are some nice additions.
- Add to the wet mixture and knead for approx 10 minutes Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place, until double - about 1 hour.
- Punch down, knead briefly to let the air bubbles out. Top with whatever you like and bake at 425ºF for approx 20 minutes.
- This recipe also makes great breadsticks. Follow same directions as above - when adding the flour and salt, add garlic powder and oregano. Let rise same as above. When ready to bake, roll into strips and twist 3 or 4 times. Lay on a greased breadstick pan or cookie sheet. Brush generously with egg white and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 425ºF for approximately 5 minutes or until cooked through. Enjoy!