Recipe by Cem
This is an Antony Worral Thompson recipe and makes the most DELICIOUS pizza dough. You can use any toppings you like, and the dough stores well in the refrigerator for about a week. Preparation time doesn't include the 2 hours rising time.
- 250 -350 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 550 g strong white flour, plus extra
- strong white flour, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons clear honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 150ml of the water into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Stir to dissolve, then leave to rest in a warm place for ten minutes.
- Sift the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Stir the honey and olive oil into the yeast mixture until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the yeast mixture, mixing to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Add enough of the remaining water, little by little, until you have achieved the correct consistency.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and lightly flour your hands. Knead the dough for ten minutes until it is smooth and pliable.
- Lightly oil a large bowl - it should be big enough to allow the dough to double in size. Put the dough inside and cover with cling film. Set aside in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- When the dough has doubled in size, remove the cling film and punch the dough down. Remove from the bowl and knead again until smooth. Divide into five round balls and let the dough rest before shaping. If you're storing the dough for later use, put it in a freezer bag and refrigerate it.
- To shape the dough, lift a ball of dough on to a lightly floured work surface and lightly flour the top. Flatten the dough with your fingers before picking it up and slapping it onto your work surface. Repeat this a couple of times. Now drape the dough over your clenched fist and stretch it gently from the outside rim.
- Place the dough in well-floured pizza tins or baking sheets, top with your choice of toppings and bake in a hot oven until the topping is melted and the edges are crispy.