Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love this rice, I discovered the perfect way to cook Basmati rice in Vegetable Heaven and the spices to make it fragrant were from The Great Curries of India. This goes perfect with any indian meal and easily multiplies. I put four servings as in 4 side dish servings.
- 2 cups basmati rice (white)
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash rice well, put water on to boil with salt.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10*13 pan.
- Add rice and all other ingredients to boiling water.
- Boil for 10 minutes, take off pan and rinse well under running water.
- Spread rice in roasting pan and place in oven.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve or add any other ingredients.
Oh this is a dish we make daily at home, my dad loves this! Sometimes, I like substituting the water with vegetable broth. Also, I do add a stick or two of cinnamon besides cloves. Wonderful and perfect as you said!
This worked beautifully and I'll definitely make it again! The only thing is that I couldn't taste even a hint of salt after the rice has been rinsed and baked... rather odd. Perhaps next time I'll just stir a little salt in after the rinsing step, for the flavour enhancement. Thanks for posting!
Very good. Nice, dry, subtly flavoured rice. Next time, I will half the amount of turmeric, because the rice was a rather lurid colour! I will use this method again (I especially like the relaxed timing at the end). We found that this quantity served at least six people. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007.