Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a tried and true Pie Crust recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I always get rave reviews on my pies and everyone agrees that the best part is the crust! Also note the tricks for making it easy to get into the pan and to keep it from getting too brown!
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or fork until shortening is in pea-sized pieces (I usually use my hand crank chopper to do this).
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with fork in between, until all of the flour mixture is moistened and can be formed into a ball. Divide mixture in half.
- At this point, you can roll dough into a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface, but I prefer to tape a 12 inch square piece of waxed paper to my work surface with double sided tape, put my dough on that, then cover with another piece of waxed paper, and roll out.
- When dough is in a circle as big as your waxed paper (ie 12 inch circle), peel off the top layer of waxed paper and discard.
- Lift the dough and bottom layer of waxed paper up and invert onto your pie pan. Gently peel the waxed paper off.
- Do the same with the other 1/2 of your dough to make your top crust.
- Before placing pie in the oven, wrap a 3 inch wide strip of foil around the edge of your crust, allowing 2 inches to fold over the top of your pie. 1/2 way through your bake time, carefully pull the foil off and finish baking. Your crust will turn out perfect every time!
This crust was amazingly easy to put together and baked to the most beautiful golden crispy perfection! It was the best simple to make pie crust I have ever put my banana cream in, the two together made it taste just like grandma's.
I love this crust and have been making it for along time. I like to use butter flavored crisco for more flavor.
Excellent pie crust! family like it a lot. Very easy to lift and place in pan. I made an apple pie with it. my mother however said it was kind of tasteless (the pie crust). but we really liked it. very easy to make. good directions.