Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a nice moist crust. Makes a top and bottom.
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Using fingertips, rub in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add vinegar.
- Use a fork to mix in enough water to form moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball, divide dough into two equal portions.
- Flatten each portion into a disk.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap, chill 45 minute.
- Soften slightly at room temp.
- before rolling out.
- Fill pie with filling of your choice and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Yay!!! this was the first pie crust that I've made that has ever turned out (I've made a few...) I was a little worried about it being too moist, but it rolled out perfectly and was so easy to transfer to the pan. It turned out flaky and delicious.
This was the easiest most delicious pie crust I have tried and succeeded to make, ever. I used half butter half shortening, and it worked like a dream.
I love this pie crust and have made it so often that I know the recipe by heart! For easy measuring I always use 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I also use just 4-5 tablespoons ice water ~ Only as much as it takes until the dough comes together. This recipe makes just the right amount of pastry which is especially easy to work with and turns out tender, flaky, and flavorful ~ Perfect!