Recipe by Mrs Beeton wannabe
Fits the name perfectly, can be made and frozen in advance. Delicious change from boring usuals, and you only have to wash up one baking tray!!!
- 1 medium firm aubergine, sliced into rounds
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips (capsicum)
- 10 baby vegetable marrows, sliced into half inch thick rounds
- 1 slice mild cheese
- 10 slices bread, buttered
- dried thyme
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the oven on'grill'.
- Spread the sliced marrows evenly on a baking tray.
- Cover liberally with dried thyme, pour over some olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Leave under the grill for a 5 minutes.
- Check if a few have a light brown colour, then using a spatula stir and turn them around a bit in the tray and return to the oven.
- Don't let it go soggy, it should only take no more than 5 minutes on each side.
- When the marrows are done, remove them from the tray onto a plate to cool, and put the aubergines in the same tray.
- Again, sprinkle on thyme, pepper and olive oil.
- Leave under the grill, turning once until done, then remove to cool.
- The peppers goes in the same tray, peppered, thymed and olive oiled, until they are slightly charred, but still red.
- Remove and cool.
- To assemble: On a buttered slice of bread, layer marrow, aubergine, pepper and cheese and cover with another layer of bread.
- **pleasenote I didn't do exact measurements as it relies on discretion, your tastes and the size of the veg.
- Can be assembled, packed and frozen.
- Take out on the morning required- will be perfectly fresh and ready to enjoy in an hour or two.