Recipe by UmmBinat
ZWT6 Scandinavia. It's really such a simple salad that this is where the quality of the ingredients is so important – and getting the slicing thin enough so that there's a bit of refinement to it. Recipe from Blanche Vaughan former Moro and River Cafe cook on http://www.guardian.co.uk.
For the Salad
- 1 handful of small waxy potato
- 1⁄4 red onion, sliced finely
- 1 good sweet organic carrot
- 1 bag of mache lettuce (lamb's lettuce)
- fillets pickled herring (You can buy good jars of pickled herrings but go for ones which are left as whole fillets and haven')
For the Vinaigrette
- half a crushed garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (may contain wine)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (not halal)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are soft. Meanwhile, peel the carrot and slice into thin little rounds.
- Make the vinaigrette by mixing the garlic, mustard and vinegar and whisking in the oil. Season well.
- When the potatoes are cooked, slice into pieces thick enough that they hold together but are not too thick.
- Dress the potatoes, carrot, lettuce and onion with the vinaigrette, and finally the herring slices and pile onto a plate.