Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
St. Louis style pizza!!!
Make and share this Perfect Pepperoni Pizza Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 thin crust prepared pizza crust
- 12 ounces pizza sauce
- 1⁄2 lb pepperoni
- 4 ounces Provel cheese (use PROVEL cheese, see Provel Cheese (St. Louis)
- Preheat oven to 460 degrees.
- Put one of the crusts on the pizza stone in the oven for 4 minutes then remove.
- On pizza crust, apply 4 oz. of sauce (or how much you want) then add desired amount of pepperoni, and then top with the desired amount of cheese which I add about 4oz or so.
- Return to pizza to the oven on the stone and bake about 10 minutes or until cheese is all melted.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Intense flavor sensation, WOW! I also cannot buy Provel rope cheese locally, but saw Provel Cheese (St. Louis) Pasta, Pizza, Lasagna, Yum and then elsewhere on the web people did without the Liquid Smoke by using smoked provolone. I took the "gourmet" tack shredding Cabot 3-year (white) cheddar, Applewood-smoked swiss, and imported smoked provolone in a 2:1:1 ratio. I used a personal pizza-sized pizza crust and did without the 4 minute baking as the crust had been prebrowned. Following the lead of my favorite local Italian restaurant, I glazed olive oil on the crust before spreading the pizza sauce. Can't wait to make this again, but sliding some sliced mushrooms under the cheese as well. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
You can't beat a good pepperoni pizza and this one was great! I made a thin crust version using Pizza Dough for Thin Crust Pizza. Here in southeast TX I can't get Provel cheese (seems to be a St Louis thing) but I did some research and found that it's a processed blend of cheddar, swiss and provolone. Trying to get a similar taste/texture for my pizza I blended some Laughing Cow processed swiss cheese, shredded mild cheddar, and sliced provolone in my food processor and used that to top the pizza. I can't say how that compares to real Provel but it was really great on this pizza, giving a rich and creamy balance to the spicy pepperoni. Great pizza - thanks for sharing the recipe!