Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A decadent cake.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (do not use extra-virgin)
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 bartlett pears, peeled,quartered,cored,cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 3 cups)
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Oil and flour 9-inch-diameter cake pan.
- Line bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk eggs, oil, milk, and lemon peel in large bowl.
- Whisk in 2/3 cup sugar.
- Add flour; whisk until batter is smooth.
- Mix in pears with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer batter to pan.
- Sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- **Toloosen the cake, use a sharp knife and cut around the edge of the cake.
- Turn the cake onto a platter.
- Sift powdered sugar over top for presentation.