Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I can't believe I didn't post this one earlier since this is one of the few things in the world that ALL the men in my life love--DH, my sons, my father--and most of the women too. I have a hard-to-please crowd here at home, and they ALL ALWAYS eat this, and drain the pot to the end. On top of that, it is just about the easiest soup to make of all time, and very forgiving if you need to make modifications. You can multiply it to serve massive quantities of people, and it freezes perfectly. It's cheap to make, it's easy, and it's comforting. What more can we ask for? Let me know what your crowd thinks....
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 2 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 -6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow split peas (less muddy tasting than green, and it makes for a lovely, elegant soup. If you are particularly fond)
- 9 -12 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute onions until soft.
- Add carrots and celery, and let cook a few more minutes.
- Add peas, mix, and let cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, cover, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until it reaches the desired thickness, at least 90 minutes, or up to 6 hours (this soup is VERY forgiving).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be garnished with croutons or seeds, or served with a crusty bread. Or not. Just remember to breathe deeply and enjoy the quiet.
I added a bit of garlic. I really liked it, but I minimized water, maxed veggies, and cooked it for four hours so it was quite thick. The DH liked it okay when it was thinner with more liquid, but he was sick at the time and can't comment accurately on taste.
this was a great soup for fast and simple.. wow. it was a little bland for me as i like a spicer soup but if your looking for a great basic and EASY FAST soup this is a great one thanks